About Us / History
As it is testified by historical documents, the discovery of Ekibastuz coal basin relates to as early as 1867. The coal mining has begun at the border of the XIX –XX centuries by Voskresenskiy Mining Joint Stock Company, and since 1913 – by English Concession Company “Kirgizian Mining Joint Stock Company”, where the main shareholder was Lesly Urkart, an English millionaire, and Gerbert Guver, a USA former president.
After establishment of the Soviet power in 1918 at the territory of Pavlodar Priirtyshje, the decree of Board of People’s Commissars was signed on nationalization of Ekibastuz coal copies. However, only after the war the surveyors and designers came there. In 1954, the first coal mine named further as Central Mine was commissioned with the capacity of 3 mm tons per year.
From that time Ekibastuz coal has been shipped to the power plants of the Ural region of the Russian Federation. The first train was delivered to Krasnogorsk heat power plant, which became the unique proving ground for Ekibastuz coal. In that very year in a small Ural town called Troitsk the construction of the new power plant started – the mother of the big power engineering of the southern Ural. The plant, like other power plants built later, was designed and built purposefully for burning high-ash Ekibastuz coal.
Bogatyr mine with the designed capacity of 50 mm tons of coal p.a. was constructed in nine stages since 1965 till 1979. In 1985, the maximum annual productivity came to 56,8 mm tons of coal. The mine of such unit capacity was constructed for the first time in the world, and that is why, it was listed into the Guinness Book. Until 1996, Bogatyr mine belonged to the State JSC Ekibastuzkomir.
The new phase of the deposit development began in the middle of the 90-th years of last century, when the new investors came there. The history of Bogatyr Access Komyr, LLP began in September 1996. At that time, according to the results of the open tender conducted in compliance with the resolution of the RoK government, Access Industries Inc. company privatized the property of Bogatyr mine and Stepnoy mine (70%).
By the agreement of the shareholders beginning with 2009 Bogatyr Access Komyr, LLP started being managed by two companies, the Kazakhstani state holding Samruk-Kazyna and the Russian UC RUSAL.
In March of 2009 Bogatyr Access Komyr, LLP was renamed into Bogatyr Coal, LLP.